Turkey

World
World Map
Europe
   

Turkey Attractions

Topkapi Palace
The Grand Bazaar
The Blue Mosque

Europe >> Turkey >> Turkey Geographical Information

Turkey Geographical Information

Turkey connects Europe and Asia and is balanced between the East and the West. The Dardanelles, the Sea of Marmara and the Bosphorus Straits divide it into Asian and European parts. Eastern Thrace (European Turkey) is only 3% of the total land area of Turkey. The remaining 97% is Anatolia. A vast plateau rises eastwards towards the Caucasus Mountains. Turkey shares its boundaries with Greece, Bulgaria, Georgia, Armenia, Iran, Iraq and Syria. It has a rich topography varying between rolling steppes, meandering rivers, rich agricultural valleys and a craggy-beach coastline. It has a 1700 km drive from Edirne on the Bulgarian border to Kars on the Armenian border and a 1000 km hiking distance from the Black Sea in the north to the Mediterranean in the south. Turkey’s coastline is over 6,000 km long and has several popular tourist resorts.

In spite of once being densely forested, Turkey has been shorn of its forests to a great extent. Though some areas still have considerable forested regions the government is encouraging conservation and reforestation. In spring the Steppes are covered with a multitude of flowers. Turkey’s temperate climate and the diverse topography favours the planting of a variety of crops, ranging from apples, apricots, bananas, cherries, citrus fruits, cotton, date palms, grapes, sugar beet to sunflowers and tobacco. Much of the world’s supply of hazel nuts (filberts), pistachios and walnuts are grown in Turkey. Among the cash crops, cotton, and wheat and barley are important.

The animal life in Turkey is quite similar to that in the Balkans, and most of European bears, deer, jackals, lynx, wild boars, wolves and rare leopards. The domestic animals include cattle, horses, donkeys, goats and several varieties of sheep, camels and water buffalo. Bird life is also very rich and varied with many eagles, vultures, storks as well as the rare bald ibis. Bird Sanctuaries have been established in several parts of Turkey.

The coastal waters of Turkey are rich with different kinds of fish, shellfish and other sea creatures, though over fishing and pollution are damaging the sea life of Turkey.


If you're considering taking a cruise around the Mediterranean, the choices and opportunities available are vast. Boasting modern cities and ...
It’s a known fact that there is nothing quite like the sparkle romance puts in your life! Unfortunately in your ...
When you travel the question arises - to shop or not to shop. For many, shopping is almost an addiction, ...
It is quite possible to take a holiday without spending a lot of money. Many people will refrain from going ...
Travellers are always on the lookout for where to go next: new horizons, new destinations, new experiences. From beach ...
 

Share:         Email


Holiday Packages

Turkish Delight Including Aegean Legends Cruise Holiday - 10 Nights / 11 Days tour package starting at INR 1,33,912 per person with airfare>>
Turkey: Istanbul and Cappadocia - 4 Nights / 5 Days tour package for INR 77,000 per person with Return airfare and taxes from Mumbai>>
Turkey Tour - 12 Nights / 13 Days tour package starting at USD 969 per person 6720>>
More>

Travel Tools

World Weather World Time Converter
Currency Converter World Holidays & Festival
Travel Health & Tips Travel Insurance
TrainsTravel Features
 
In Italy, they sure drink a lot of coffee and eat pasta - 600 cups of coffee and 25 kgs of pasta per person per year!
 


Subscribe
Subscribe
Get the latest and the best on travel
Downloads
Downloads
Free Desktop Calendars!
Facebook
Stay Connected!
Come join our interactive community
Twitter
Quick Updates
Latest News, Deals, Views & more
 
© 2001 - 2014 JourneyMart.com. All rights reserved. Useful Links